Olympic Heights Completes their 10th Annual St. Baldrick’s Event

Olympic Heights High School students are supporting childhood cancer research in a much more unique way than donating money – they are shaving their heads.

On Thursday, Olympic Heights hosted their tenth annual St Baldricks shave-a-thon event. To participate in the head-shaving extravaganza, students were asked to raise a minimum of 100 dollars for the St. Baldricks Foundation. Commendably, many students raised above and beyond, as the amount raised totaled over $33,000.

For those not familiar, the St. Baldrick’s foundation is a volunteer-driven charity committed to funding the most promising research to find cures for childhood cancers and give survivors long, healthy lives.

This year, Olympic Heights had over 200 student volunteers.

“This is an overall great thing,” said senior Ian Wagner. “Raising money to cure childhood cancer is an extremely important cause and seeing high school students raise this much money is an outstanding thing.”

In the past ten years, Olympic Heights have raised over $500,000 in total. What’s truly remarkable about that number is the fact that each event has been entirely student run under the guidance of few faculty.

“As a high school student, it’s such a great feeling to be able to make a difference like this. When you walk into the gymnasium and see a sea of green shirts, wigs, headbands and shoes, you get really excited for what was accomplished,” said junior Gianna Damian. “It’s important to spread the word.”

At the event, 60 students shaved their heads, including 12 female students.

Senior Elizabeth Siegal is a four year veteran of the head-shaving process. When asked why she shaves her head, Siegal responded “it’s really important for girls to shave their hair. It makes such an impact in these kids’ lives and it makes them feel like they don’t have to go through it alone. They have someone who knows what it feels like to not have any hair on their heads.”

“36 children are diagnosed with cancer every day. That is 36 families every day in turmoil and grief,” stated Lauren Benedeky, a stage IV neuroblastoma survivor and St. Baldrick’s national ambassador.

It is truly spectacular the amount of money that has been raised for this fantastic cause. This proves that at no matter what age, people can make a difference. As Elizabeth Siegal acutely expressed, “It’s only hair. It will grow back.”