• Athletes of the Week: Danielle Smith (Girls Soccer); Patrick Zullo (Boys Soccer)

• Students of the Week: Shane Berner (Fr.); Shadi Dandashi (So.); Albert Rejouis (Jr.); Mitchell Beubrun (Sr.)

Filed under News, Showcase

Schools to Remain Closed Through Friday; Reopen Monday, Sept. 18

UPDATE: With a majority of its schools still without power, the Palm Beach County School District made the decision to keep all its schools closed through Friday, Sept. 15.

Hurricane Irma has forced all Palm Beach County public schools to remain closed at least through Friday, Sept. 15, the district has announced through its website and a series of social media announcements.

On Saturday, Florida Governor Rick Scott ordered all Florida public schools and universities to remain closed through Monday, and Superintendent Robert Avossa  tweeted that the school district would need at least through Monday to assess damages to its campuses.

Sunday afternoon, the district announced the decision to keep schools closed through Tuesday, at least. Avossa has expressed concern over the number of school district employees and students who evacuated the state and may experience delays returning to their homes. Also, 13 schools have been serving as hurricane shelters to more than 17,000 people, and the necessary post-Irma clean-up time needed remains uncertain.

The district will continue to monitor the situation and will post updates through social media, emails, and robocalls.