• Athletes of the Week: Ethan Davis (Wrestling); Ellie Carrigan (Girls Weightlifting); Megan Dingman (Cheer)

• Athletes of the Week: Skylar Deutch and Matthew Shook (Soccer); Kira LaCroix and Evan Botwinik (Basketball)

• Students of the Week: Fabiola Tirado Albarran (Fr.); Nidal El-Mcharfie (So.); Tu Nguyen (Jr.); Justin Haas (Sr.)

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Ezekiel Elliott Continues to Play As His Suspension Hearing Ends Without a Ruling

By now, all NFL fans are aware the Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott has been accused of domestic violence. Elliott claims to be innocent although his former girlfriend posted pictures via Instagram of bruises all over her body.

The NFL suspended Elliott six games, but Elliott appealed the case. When the NFL denied his appeal, Elliott took his case to court. A court injunction was issued that allowed Elliott to play until his case could be heard.

That hearing was held on Oct. 2, but no ruling was issued, and it is not clear when that ruling will come. So, Elliott gets to play at least through week five of the NFL season. If Elliott’s legal appeal is denied, his suspension could start as early as week six.

Elliott’s alleged victim, Tiffany Thompson, accused Elliott of striking her “several times” and “leaving bruises on her arms” over a five-day period, according to a police report. Elliott, however, told police that he never touched Thompson in “a harmful manner,” saying she suffered the bruises during a bar fight. Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys, calls the situation “complicated” because there is “no evidence.”

Thompson described the relationship as boyfriend/girlfriend. Elliott, on the other hand, says it was just one of the many girls he has had relations with. The NFL says it has evidence that Elliott’s claim is not true, claiming it was able to determine that the two were in a very close relationship at the time of the violence. The NFL claims that Elliott told Thompson that he loved her and wanted to marry her.

In other texts the all-pro running back refers to Thompson as his “girlfriend” and that he missed her after one day apart. Thompson also claims to have lived with Elliott for three months while he says he was only paying her rent for her.

Elliott has come back to form for the Cowboys after his nine attempts for eight yards disaster in week two against Denver. He posted 80 rushing yards on 22 attempts with one touchdown, adding three receptions for 14 yards against Arizona last week.

Elliott was the NFL leader in rushing yards as a rookie last season. He was second in the Rookie of the Year, finishing behind his teammate quarterback Dak Prescott.