• Athletes of the Week: TENNIS: Alaina Lewis & William Luque; WRESTLING: Leidaly Riveria; WEIGHTLIFTING: Kaivin Im

• Students of the Month: Alexis Ford (9); Jonathan Raffa & Skylar Deutch (10); Johnathon Difusco (11); Charlotte Stewart (12)

• Teacher of the Month: Leslie Giblin; Non-Instructional Employee of the Month: Joanne Falzone

OH Wrestler Troy Jaffy Wins State Championship; Ethan Davis Finishes Second

Back to Article
Back to Article

Olympic Heights' state champion wrestler Troy Jaffy  on the podium after receiving his gold medal.

Olympic Heights' state champion wrestler Troy Jaffy on the podium after receiving his gold medal.

Olympic Heights senior wrestler Troy Jaffy won the state championship in the 220-pound division at the Silver Spurs Arena in Kissimmee Saturday night with a 4-2 come-from-behind decision over Seabreeze’s Braden Buswell.

OH junior Ethan Davis took second place in the 170-pound division, losing on a 1-0 decision to defending champion Ashton Habeil of Lake Gibson in the championship match.

Troy Jaffy wins state championship.

“This still hasn’t sunk in,” Jaffy told the Palm Beach Post. “I didn’t even know the match was over. My weight gave me a big advantage with my speed.”

Jaffy was referring to a decision by the OH coaching staff to move him up to the 220-pound division for the district tournament after having wrestled at the 195-pound division during the season.

“My assistant coach had a really good feeling to move Jaffy up in weight,” OH head wrestling coach Boomer Mears told The Post. “With his speed and strength at the 220-pound class, his speed would be too much for these guys.”

“You just never give up,” Jaffy told The Sun-Sentinel of his comeback victory in the championship match. “You’ve got to believe in yourself, no matter what.” Jaffy had won a tie-breaker decision in the semi-finals match to advance to the championship.

Jaffy, a four-year wrestler and a four-year varsity football player, will attend Florida Atlantic University and will attempt to play football there as a walk-on linebacker.

Ethan Davis (on top) in championship match.

The lone point on Davis’s hard fought 1-0 loss in his championship match came on a Habeil escape in the second period. Davis was unable to earn an escape of his own in the third period. “I wanted to lay back and wait for him,” Davis told The Sentinel. “He’ll do crazy things. I was waiting for him to get tired. I was expecting to get away and beat him in the third period.”

“He’s a tough kid,” Mears told The Sentinel of Davis. “We’re proud of him. He’s only a junior. He’s going to be back.”