• Athletes of the Week: TRACK: Ricky Brown & Bianca Bruney; WEIGHTLIFTING: Alan Simons; VOLLEYBALL: Chris Muro

• Athletes of the Week: BASEBALL: Jake Neese; SOFTBALL: Theresa Colandreo; FLAG FOOTBALL: Faith Krost

• Athletes of the Week: TENNIS: Michael Nemery & Flavia Viera; LACROSSE: Jamal London & Jessica Budin

• Students of the Month: Matt Merhi (9); Andie Hirsch (10); Adelaide Claiborne (11); Reyin Darby (12)

• Teacher of the Month: Sharon Neubauer; Non-Instructional Employee of the Month: Nicki Spears

OH Flag Football Downs West Boca to Win Season Opener

Back to Article
Back to Article

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

First year senior quarterback Alexis Durrance threw two second half touchdown passes to lead the Olympic Heights flag football team to a 12-0 win over the West Boca Bulls in the team’s season opening game on Monday night at Corey Lewis Stadium.

After a scoreless first half, which saw West Boca take the game’s opening drive – one that consumed the entire first quarter – down to the Lions 5-yard line only to stall after back-to-back penalties, the Lions seemed to move the ball with ease on the second half’s opening drive.

Durrance connected with Isabella Gagnon on an 8-yard pass for the game’s first touchdown that capped the 66-yard drive that featured an amazing catch by Leidaly Riveria for a 25-yard gain. The opening of the fourth quarter saw the Lions mount another drive which featured a 20-yard Camilla Gabarrin run and ended when Durrance hooked up with Faith Krost on a 30-yard touchdown pass.

The OH bend-don’t-break defense kept the Bulls off the scoreboard with three interceptions, two by Victoria Barreto and one by Soshi Halperin.

The Lions will host Oxbridge Academy on Wed., March 6, at 6:00pm.