Olympic Heights Spikeball Club offers students a way to become involved, stay active, and have fun

First+introduced+in+2015%2C+Spikeball+has+made+a++reemergence+and+is+sweeping+the+nation.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

First introduced in 2015, Spikeball has made a  reemergence and is sweeping the nation.

First introduced in 2015, Spikeball has made a reemergence and is sweeping the nation.

Olympic Heights students looking for a new game to play with friends that allows for fun while staying active need to look no further than the newly formed OH Spikeball Club.  Spikeball is an emerging sport that resurfaced since it’s appearance on Shark Tank in 2015. 

One is most likely wondering what Spikeball even is because most people have not heard of the sport. Spikeball is a sort of versus two version of volleyball, but the net sits on the ground rather than stretched across a court above the players’ heads..

Basic rules are that the four players position themselves around the round net, with each person facing across from another player. Teammates stand adjacent to each other. The game starts when one team serves to the other by throwing a small, yellow ball up in the air and smacking it onto the net. 

After the ball is served, the real action starts. The other team has three hits, just as in volleyball, to hit the ball back into the net. Players must pass, or  “set,” the ball to their teammate in order to have the best chance at striking the ball on the net in a way that the other team cannot recover and continue the rally. 

When a team fails to return the ball on the net, a point is gained by that team’s opponent. Games usually last up to 15 or 21 points. Some other basic rules are that the ball may not hit the “rim” of the net on its return. Serves can’t hit the rim or the “pockets” of the net: the parts of the net next to the rim that cause the ball to fly upwards or at an awkward angle. Rules referring to amounts of faults on serves, types of serves (professional or gentlemen), or the possible “pocket unplayable” call in which the ball is pocketed during a rally that isn’t able to be returned due to the ball reacting in an irrational matter, vary depending on the the players participating.

OH Spikeball Club’s co-presidents are Issac Moss and Joshua Jacobwitz. Moss notes that Spikeball is an “upcoming” sport and that “everyone [who gets the chance] should play.” Jacobowitz believes people should join the club  “to hang out with [their] friends.” They both believe in the importance of joining clubs and having fun.

The OH club offers various levels of play for the beginner to the experienced player. OH students interested in getting involved can join by texting @8673c96 to 81010 (Remind).

If intraschool competition doesn’t sound appealing, many outside leagues are based in South Florida in parks and beaches, including around Boca Raton, Delray Beach, and Deerfield Beach.  Downloading the “Spikeball” app on one’s mobile phone will allow those interested to participate with others locally. However, one should always make sure to be careful with interactions with strangers. 

Members of the club and participants of the game are all excited to welcome new players, so everyone should feel comfortable giving the OH Spikeball Club a try. Both boys and girls are welcome, and, who knows, one may become so good that they may end up playing in college and  be featured on ESPN’s televised collegiate Spikeball tournaments.