• Athletes of the Week: Austin Geller (Boys Bsktbl); Leidaly Riveria (Girls Weightlifting) Gabriella Vogel (Cheer)

• Athletes of the Week: Diego Longa (Boys Soccer); Kaitlyn Cierpik (Girls Soccer); Michael Butler (Wrestling)

• Students of the Week: Yi-Ju Wang (Fr.); Cassandra "CJ" Vyazmensky (So.); Andrew Chea (Jr.); Kaylee Cunningham (Sr.)

X-Men: Apocalypse a Disappointing Bore

There is no doubt that we as consumers have become suckers to any movie advocating a superhero showdown, unfathomable powers, and the promise of an epic fight scene. The entertainment industry, led by Marvel, capitalizes on this ever growing phenomenon with new renditions of classic superhero series debuting left and right. The latest of these is X-Men: Apocalypse.

With many favorites reprising their roles as X-Men, the addition to the beloved series looked promising. However, to a fan of both Marvel and X-Men, it is quite disappointing and even boring.

Apocalypse is the fourth comic movie to premiere this year already. Following Deadpool, Batman v. Superman, and Captain America: Civil War, with X-Men coming in last place with its estimated opening revenue.

Seeing as there is clearly no shortage of superhero movies with riveting plots, new ones have an increasingly higher standard to meet and Apocalypse just doesn’t do it. Summarily, the first ever mutant returns to Earth in seek of mass destruction to create a new order in which the mutants rule. Sound familiar? That’s because it is. Countless movies have toyed with a similar concept, and are all predictable, leading to a rather tedious plot. I found myself checking the time on multiple occasions wondering when it would end. Such boredom is usually made up for with great action scenes, yet the ones in this movie come up short.

Granted, the acting, as usual in this series, is commendable. Jennifer Lawrence (The Hunger Games), Nicholas Hoult (Warm Bodies), Sophie Turner (Game of Thrones), James McAvoy (Wanted), and Michael Fassbender (Inglorious Bastards) all play their mutant roles notably as in previous X-Men movies.

It is a shame this latest installment is not memorable or enthralling. Simply, the plot is not engaging and unlike the fighting that initially put X-Men on the map, the action does not keep the audience on the edge of their seats.

Movies spawned from comic series that have humorous interplay have become box office hits, as seen within the witty banter of Deadpool and Captain America: Civil War. Apocalypse is seriously lacking lighthearted levity as it is just so sad and heavy.

If in the mood for a superhero relief, I recommend Captain America which is still in theaters. This is an X-Men installment one can do without.