• Athletes of the Week: TRACK: Ricky Brown & Bianca Bruney; WEIGHTLIFTING: Alan Simons; VOLLEYBALL: Chris Muro

• Athletes of the Week: BASEBALL: Jake Neese; SOFTBALL: Theresa Colandreo; FLAG FOOTBALL: Faith Krost

• Athletes of the Week: TENNIS: Michael Nemery & Flavia Viera; LACROSSE: Jamal London & Jessica Budin

• Students of the Month: Matt Merhi (9); Andie Hirsch (10); Adelaide Claiborne (11); Reyin Darby (12)

• Teacher of the Month: Sharon Neubauer; Non-Instructional Employee of the Month: Nicki Spears

Filed under News, Showcase

Summer Wildfires Ravage California

Back to Article
Back to Article

Summer Wildfires Ravage California

California spent the latter part of the summer up in flames as the hot dry conditions of the state continue. This summer alone, more than 71,500 acres of California’s land have been destroyed by wildfires. With an already astonishing four major forest fires in just three months, the number was expected to climb as the combination of heat and wind remain.

The largest of the California fires this summer was the Blue Cut fire in Southern California. Taking place around Interstate 15, the flames covered 37,000 acres and destroyed 96 homes. California Governor Jerry Brown officially declared a state of emergency, resulting in the evacuation of 34,000 homes and over 82,000 people.

Another 20,000 acres of land were burnt to ashes in the Chimney fire in San Luis Obispo County. Destroying more than 48 buildings, national historic landmark Hearts Castle was temporarily closed as it was only two miles away from the center of the fire.

The Clayton fire in northern California wiped out 4,000 acres of land and demolished more than 175 buildings. On August 15, Damin Anthony Pashill, a 40-year-old construction worker, was charged with 17 counts of arson, including the start of the Clayton fire. He is believed to have started numerous fires over the past decade, however not all can be proven.

The fourth wildfire this summer was the Rey Fire. Flames covered 11,000 acres of land. California has by far surpassed the expectations of land destroyed by wildfires that were made in 2015. The firefighters of California are busy preparing for more expected fires, making it a record breaking summer in the United States.