Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

At 17, Pop Phenom Billie Eilish Is Gaining Quite a Following

Back to Article
Back to Article

Billie Eilish's unique personality and music has made her one of the most popular artists on the charts.

Seventeen-year-old, pop sensation, record breaking, and global phenomenon Billie Eilish, is taking the world by storm as the young teenager captures the attention of all age groups around the world with her unique voice, personality, and vibe. It all started back in 2015 of October, where Eilish recorded a song written by her brother, Finneas Eilish, called “Ocean Eyes,” which was meant to be sent to her dance teacher, when it unexpectedly blew up and became a hit worldwide. Since then, Eilish and her brother continued to write and record songs, and a year later, Eilish released her first EP titled “Ocean Eyes.”

As a child, Eilish was homeschooled and joined the Los Angeles Children’s Chorus group at age eight and began writing her own music with her brother at age 11. In November of last year, Eilish confirmed that she suffers from Tourette syndrome. She doesn’t let that or anything else affect her image as she said that she’s “really different from a lot of people…If somebody starts wearing something a certain way, I’ll wear the complete opposite of that…[I] always said what I wanted to say…I like to be remembered.”

Eilish’s unique personality is one of the factors that have made her so popular with her fans. Her personality, along with her chilling, unique voice, and sometimes disturbing, yet calming and powerful songs, speaks to her audience’s hearts and tells them a story.

In 2019, Eilish released her hit album When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go and broke records worldwide. The album “debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart after moving a total of 313,000 album units in the first week of its release,” according to music writer Lake Schatz, making Eilish the youngest female artist to claim the top spot since 2009.

Eilish is also the first artist who was born in the 2000s to hit the No. 1 spot. The album posted the second-largest number of sales in a week with a total of 170,000. Additionally, the album hit nearly 200 million streams, making it the third-biggest streaming week for an album.

At only age 17, Eilish’s album joins a list of legendary pop singers such as Beyoncé Lemonade, Ariana Grande Thank U, Next, Adele’s 25, and Taylor Swift’s 1989. The fact that it is Eilish’s debut album makes it that more impressive. Eilish was also nominated for “Fan Fave New Artist” in 2018 at the iHeartRadio Music Awards and “Best New Rock/Alternative Artist” in 2019 at the iHeartRadio Music Awards. She then won “Favorite Breakout Artist” at the 2019 Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards and was nominated again for “Best New Headliner” for the 2019 Pollstar Awards.

Eilish was a headliner at Coachella, one of the biggest music festivals in the world, on April 13 and 19 of this year. She performed at the Outdoor Theatre, which is more than a football field length, and was completely filled with people wanting to watch her perform. Many fans and newly made fans adore her so much that near the end of her hour-long set, fans were cheering for more and yelling “We love you,” as she had to pause to wipe away the tears. Her performance made it to the Desert Sun website as one of “The moments that made Coachella 2019.” At just age 17, Eilish is ready to present to the world more of her uniqueness when it comes to songs, lyrics, personality, and she is just getting started.