Time and Stress Management Key to Becoming a Successful Student Athlete

Olympic Heights student athletes have a lot to manage with hours per week of conditioning, practice, and games. And those hours get doubled if the student athlete is also playing on a travel or club team.  And, there are the numerous hours of homework and studying that have to be factored into an already crammed week of late nights and long weekends. Though student athletes are generally supported by their parents, coaches, teachers, and counselors, it often becomes very stressful and can be  a lot to handle.

Lindsey Poloskey, a senior who plays travel volleyball and varsity for the high school team, says, “I have to be very productive when I get home right away before and after practices or games.  Also, prioritizing my time is important, so when staying at school for home games, instead of socializing, I get my homework done.” 

Stress is very common among high school students.  This is especially true when they are so involved in extracurricular activities and sports. This is evident as evidenced by the high rate of depression in high school students.  Learning how to manage time is extremely important for student athletes so as not to fall behind in their studies or athletic endeavors.

The following was explained by sophomore Madison Celce, comments, “The most challenging aspect for me is having to deal with my time management, making sure that everything is going to get done whether it is homework, left over class work, or studying.”

With such a crammed schedule, what usually gets sacrificed by student athletes is sleep. Getting up very early to get to school on time, then staying after for after school sports and/or travel team sports, and then getting home only to face hours of homework or studying, most student athletes do not get to bed until after midnight. Then, they have to get up the next morning and do it all over again.  Not only is this stressful, it is unhealthy for the mind and body. And, good health plays is especially important for the student athlete.

Junior Avery Throckmorton play softball for both the OH team and a travel team, but she feels she is managing her time effectively., “ I don’t think playing sports affects my grades. If anything, it affects it positively because it allows me to learn how to manage my time more efficiently so I am able to get my school work done and train at the same time.”

According to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), student-athletes spend anywhere between 30-40 hours toward their athletic endeavors. That equates to a full-time job! In addition to these hours, students are still expected to maintain a decent GPA. It goes without saying that mastering time management skills are a key trait every student-athlete needs to have.

Prioritizing is not easy.  But with good time management skills as well as determination all things, both academically and athletically can be accomplished.