• Congrats to our SECME team for winning 1st place in the district!
  • OH Boys Weightlifting team won Regional Championship on 4/5! Good luck at the state championship!
  • Congratulations to our amazing theatre teacher Kimberly Coyle for being named a Dwyer Finalist for Senior High Education!
  • For the second consecutive year, the Olympic Heights girls soccer team is the 7A district 2023-2024 Academic Team Champion
  • Congratulations Florida DECA State Champions 2024: Katelynne Deale, Tai Graham, and Elsie Throckmorton!
  • Girls Soccer Coach Jim Cappello is coach of the year, leading the lions to 21 victories, and their eighth straight regional appearance.
  • Soccer: Senior Ava Cardaci was selected 7A District 12 Player of the Year with 15 goals and 27 assists.

Fall Sports Wrap

Fall Sports Wrap

As this sports season comes to an end, it is essential to look back on the mark that the Olympic Heights Lions left during this fall sports season. It is time to reflect on our teams that have finished their incredible seasons. This year’s teams have paved the way for the following seasons of Olympic Heights sports programs in the future.  

The girls’ golf team is led by their team captain, Ashley Daniels, and coached by Ms. Koher. Since there are only three girls on the team, they do not meet the technical requirements to compete as a full team; however, Ms. Koher did note that she saw a fantastic improvement in the teams’ abilities as “each golfer lowered the number of strokes by ten” throughout the season. Senior team captain Ashley Daniels did advance to regionals, and she was the first girl in five years to make it from Olympic Heights. This year’s girls’ golf team has significantly improved from previous years, leading the following years on a paved path to success. Ms. Koher is very confident in her team and believes that her players have the potential to do great next season.

The boys’ and girls’ swim team, coached by Mr. Cappello, has ended its season and is ready to pursue next season with even higher goals set in place. Although the teams did not make regionals in the fall, the girls were only a few seconds away from getting their spot, so they have their eyes set on that regionals spot next season. Cappello also relays that the boys “were determined day in and day out to beat their numbers,” which will put them on the road to regionals in the coming seasons. One of his top goals is to get the team moving faster at the start of the season, allowing for greater productivity earlier in the season. Coach Cappello notes that the “[overall] comradery of the team” is the most significant driving factor that allows them to chase their goals. 

The girl’s volleyball team ended this year with a record of 9-11. They have a slightly better win percentage this year as compared to last year. The volleyball team played in districts where they lost in the first round versus the fourth-seed Spanish River. Ellie Poloskey, a senior at Olympic Heights, was on the volleyball team for her final season this year. Poloskey noted that this year’s season was fun, and she “[wishes her] teammates luck in the coming years.”

The bowling team advanced to 8th place in districts while receiving a 30-51 record. Coach Kucik noted that the team has high goals for next season, including qualifying for the county tournament as a team and reaching a higher place in districts. Coach Kucik plans to tackle these goals with hard work, determination, and a 100% attendance rate at their practices. Coach Kucik highlighted his favorite memory from the season as their win in an exhilarating close match against St. John Paul.

Last but not least, the boy’s golf team completed their season with a 6-5 record. The team performed better at districts this season compared to last season. In addition, one of their players, Jacob Bockstein, advanced to regionals. Coach Musser shared that his favorite memory of this season was team captain Rex Moss hitting a hole-in-one at The King’s Academy Invitational. In the coming years, Coach Musser aims for the whole team to advance to regionals.

18
View Comments (18)