• Congrats to our SECME team for winning 1st place in the district!
  • OH Boys Weightlifting team won Regional Championship on 4/5! Good luck at the state championship!
  • Congratulations to our amazing theatre teacher Kimberly Coyle for being named a Dwyer Finalist for Senior High Education!
  • For the second consecutive year, the Olympic Heights girls soccer team is the 7A district 2023-2024 Academic Team Champion
  • Congratulations Florida DECA State Champions 2024: Katelynne Deale, Tai Graham, and Elsie Throckmorton!
  • Girls Soccer Coach Jim Cappello is coach of the year, leading the lions to 21 victories, and their eighth straight regional appearance.
  • Soccer: Senior Ava Cardaci was selected 7A District 12 Player of the Year with 15 goals and 27 assists.

Addams Family Adieu

Olympic Heights theater troupe 4992 Addams Family cast photo

Olympic Heights theater troupe 4992 bids adieu to its final performance of the 2023-2024 school year. Early this month the school’s theater troupe successfully performed a production of The Addams Family.

For many, this was the final production of their high school career, and what an excellent way to end it. 

Anticipation for this show was widespread and long coming. Many students were ectatic when the theater department announced the performance and were not disappointed on opening night. The seats were filled and the cheers were surround sound during the opening night performance.

With such a large cast and such high expectations, the show delivered a highly successful closing. The audience turnout was also great. “Performing opening night felt amazing. The audience’s energy helped boost my energy and it was an incredible feeling,” says Heights senior Roman Nieto.

It was truly satisfying to see such a well planned out and memorable show. Both cast and crew put a lot of effort so having such a success was a good win for the entire troupe. Another senior, Nick Gast, who was in tech, recalls, “My favorite part about working on Addams was watching all of our hard work come together on opening night, when the lights went down in the theater and the audience started cheering – it’s intoxicating.”

Within the cast and crew were many seniors, who now sadly must say goodbye to the theater department this coming May, but they have nothing but kind words toward the academy and their final show. “I am beyond satisfied with this year’s theatre program. Mrs. Coyle [OHCHS Theatre Director] put so much work and effort into all of our productions, and I’m very grateful to have her as a director. I do wish we had done Boeing Boeing before I left, but I’m excited to see what they do with it next year,” Gast highlighted. Nieto also had kind words toward his theater program: “Our productions went very smoothly through the rehearsal process, and the shows themselves turned out incredible.”

Nieto is proud of his troupe, and when asked if there was anything he would change about his final show, he said there was “absolutely nothing I would change” and that “I feel like I really came out of my shell for this show and brought out my best character choices, makeup skills, and dance skills.”

There were many compliments towards the energy of everyone involved. The family-like troupe is what really built such strong bonds and therefore a strong show. “Having to stay late at night and doing one scene over and over was very time consuming, but it was still fun with friends,” says junior Carina Bubenik. She added, “I really did enjoy my troupe’s performances! Everyone did amazing and embodied each of their roles. I had fun with my character, getting to make up her backstory and get my costume for her. I wouldn’t change anything about the show. Mrs. Coyle did an amazing job as always and we had an amazing show!”

18
View Comments (18)