• Congrats to our SECME team for winning 1st place in the district!
  • OH Boys Weightlifting team won Regional Championship on 4/5! Good luck at the state championship!
  • Congratulations to our amazing theatre teacher Kimberly Coyle for being named a Dwyer Finalist for Senior High Education!
  • For the second consecutive year, the Olympic Heights girls soccer team is the 7A district 2023-2024 Academic Team Champion
  • Congratulations Florida DECA State Champions 2024: Katelynne Deale, Tai Graham, and Elsie Throckmorton!
  • Girls Soccer Coach Jim Cappello is coach of the year, leading the lions to 21 victories, and their eighth straight regional appearance.
  • Soccer: Senior Ava Cardaci was selected 7A District 12 Player of the Year with 15 goals and 27 assists.

A Merrymaking Military Masquerade!

Every year a ball of gratitude, respect, and a bit of fun is held for the Olympic Heights MCJROTC academy. This is a long held tradition. This year’s coordinator is the lovely senior and Second Lieutenant S-3 Officer, Ana Mendez. Tickets have already gone on sale, and the deadline for buying tickets was extended from March 8th to March 14. Any cadets in the JROTC program are allowed and encouraged to go and are welcomed to bring guests.

The Ball is a fun experience, not just for the cadets. Friends, partners, and any other guests can find themselves enjoying a good time at the event. Tickets start at $60, much cheaper than prom for any seniors or juniors, and the only requirement is being in or attending with a JROTC cadet. That and don’t be late or suffer a cruel fate!

Of course there are rules. The Academy prides itself on respect and amenability, but failure to meet a rule isn’t the end of the world. If called out for breaking a rule, a cadet, or even a guest, may have to do a silly dance or something of an embarrassing nature, but there is also drinking the grog: a disgusting combination of liquids – non-alcoholic, of course.  

“We will have the infamous ‘grog’ for those who break the ball etiquette rules,” Mendez says. The “grog” is punishment for anyone who dares disrespect the rules: improper uniform, chewing gum, lateness, etc. While it may seem scary to drink a vile juice of unknown ingredients, participating friends and other cadets find the grog a much loved tradition for the event. However, guests must be on their toes as rule breaking isn’t the only way to get a shot of grog. 

Some cadets take breaking rules to a different level. Cadet and senior Jackson Miller says, “We sneak contraband into other cadets’ possession.” There’s also the rubber ducks: Anyone who finds a rubber duck under their seat is free to choose someone to drink the grog.

Among the grog are other fun activities including a photo booth, dj, dance floor, and more. The event will take place March 28th at Boca Dunes, starting at 6:00pm. Spots are limited, so those who wish to buy tickets must see one of the sergeants about purchasing as soon as possible. “It’s a fun way to get out and experience an interesting piece of tradition,” Miller mentions.  As a cadet, “Getting to wear our blues uniforms is pretty cool, since we don’t often get to wear them,” Miller explains. 

While the fun activities are an important part of the event, so are its origins. The ball is held yearly because of the Marine Corps birthday, which originated on November 10th, 1775.  Sergeant Carlos Jarquin says, “My favorite part of the ball is getting to see cadets and other students experience some military traditions while also having fun.” The Academy is like a family, so these events and traditions mean a lot to the cadets and sergeants. While the ball is held as a birthday celebration, it is also “a method to share a meal with all the cadets in a formal environment. Traditionally in the military we have these events to allow camaraderie and to let loose from day to day events,” Jarquin shares.

The ball has many meanings, but most importantly it’s meant to be fun. So don’t forget to purchase your tickets and have a good time, without having any grog drinking mishaps.

22
View Comments (22)