College Life Ahead!

College Life Ahead!

As the school year comes to an end, the Class of 2024 finds themselves moving on and embracing a future full of endless possibilities; however, with that future comes new responsibilities. Almost half of college students don’t know how to cook, and around 60% can’t do laundry.

These basic chores are important parts of becoming independent, and while there isn’t a class teaching seniors how to do laundry, the culinary academy at Olympic Heights does offer some cooking tips. But the average student doesn’t need 4 years to learn cooking when simple online recipes will get them by. Some students have already started practicing cooking and making their own recipes for dorm life.

“I plan on sustaining myself by using my life skills while also learning more,” Alexsandra Trevino, Olympic Heights senior, said. She’s already hopped on the bandwagon of learning to cook, from making red rice and tacos to cooking flautas and sopitas. Trevino even says she’d like to learn how to make enchiladas.

Cole Cabanas, also an Olympic Heights senior, knows how to make a nice full breakfast: banana bread, chicken and rice, spam musubi, and steak and potatoes. Cabanas says it’s all thanks to his mother who thoroughly prepared him for independent college life. “I cook, do my own laundry, and I clean,” Cabanas claimed when asked if he thinks he can sustain himself on his own.

For students who aren’t as prepared, learning simple recipes now will be a lifesaver in the future. Foods that can be meal prepped for the upcoming week will be an even bigger help to these students trying to juggle classes and work and sports and parties. Planning ahead can also help students not fall victim to overly relying on unhealthy foods such as pizza and macaroni and cheese. 

Websites like Allrecipes, Food Network, and Budget Bytes provide simple recipes for students – some even made with just a microwave. These resources can be life savers to college freshmen, especially those attending schools far from home who could be overwhelmed with so many changes.  

As for laundry, some students may choose to rely on mom at the end of the week, but for those striving for independence and not planning on visiting home every weekend, learning to wash one’s own clothing is a necessity. It’s a simple process, and the simple steps can be found on the official Tide Laundry Detergent website. Tide offers a comprehensive guide and even mentions the importance of separating colors, like white and red clothes. Unless you’re trying to make a pink shirt, it’s best to avoid mixing these two colors when doing laundry. For those who are visual learners, a simple youtube search pulls up many tutorials, which can be watched in under 10 minutes. 

It’s also fortunate that many colleges do, or have begun to, incorporate in-house washers and dryers; some schools even provide machines on every floor. There are also small common area kitchens in dormitories for students who plan on cooking. The key word is the communal part, so some students prefer to buy their own appliances, within dorm regulations, like plug in stove tops, microwave, and mini fridges. These plug in appliances make it easier, less stressful, and more accessible for students cooking their own meals right in their own dorm room.

Even students who buy meal plans tend to long for home cooked meals, so having the knowledge and accessibility to make a meal reminiscent of home is important. 

View Comments (10)