• Congrats to our SECME team for winning 1st place in the district!
  • OH Boys Weightlifting team won Regional Championship on 4/5! Good luck at the state championship!
  • Congratulations to our amazing theatre teacher Kimberly Coyle for being named a Dwyer Finalist for Senior High Education!
  • For the second consecutive year, the Olympic Heights girls soccer team is the 7A district 2023-2024 Academic Team Champion
  • Congratulations Florida DECA State Champions 2024: Katelynne Deale, Tai Graham, and Elsie Throckmorton!
  • Girls Soccer Coach Jim Cappello is coach of the year, leading the lions to 21 victories, and their eighth straight regional appearance.
  • Soccer: Senior Ava Cardaci was selected 7A District 12 Player of the Year with 15 goals and 27 assists.

Football is Back!

It has been 27 weeks since the Super Bowl. The last time the National Football League broadcasted a game was six months ago, but it is back. The NFL preseason has begun. The first official regular season game premiers on Thursday, September 4. With this Thursday primetime football game, the Detroit Lions will march to Kansas City to face the former Super Bowl champions. 

Football fans across the country are getting excited for one of the most exciting sports to kick off. In one week’s time, the Sunday dynamic will be shifted. Starting on September 10, there will be constant football action from 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. An Olympic Heights Senior, Ethan Michaels, expressed his excitement for the season by relaying that he “can not wait to be glued to [his] seat” come Thursday. For many people, football is a vital part of their free time. From fantasy football to simply enjoying the sport, countless fans will be tuning in to the beginning games of the 2023-2024 season. 

In order to make correct predictions for the offseason, it is important to look at some of the game-changing trades made during the offseason. One of the most interesting trades is that of star quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers has played for the Green Bay Packers for 18 seasons – from 2005 to 2022. Rodgers’ trade to the New York Jets has sparked light in the franchise that has not made the playoffs in 12 years. Logan Zukerman is a Senior at Olympic Heights, and he has been a Jets superfan since he was little. He believes that this trade can finally “send the Jets past the barrier that’s kept them from the playoffs.” Along with this trade, star cornerback Jalen Ramsey has joined the Miami Dolphins after departing the Los Angeles Rams. Ramsey has made the NFL Pro Bowl for the past six years. The Pro Bowl is an All-Star game featuring the star players of the NFL.

While predicting the postseason can be near impossible, it is easy to look at past seasons for information on what can happen. For example, the Kansas City Chiefs have made it to their Conference Championships since the 2018 season. While making it to this game, they have won two of the three Super Bowls that they attended. Through similar data, it can be seen that some teams are destined to go far in the postseason. 

The defending champions have the greatest odds of winning the Super Bowl. The Chiefs have proved that their team can succeed in the regular season and the postseason. Another promising team happens to be the Buffalo Bills. The Bills have been on the radar of ESPN analysts for a couple of seasons. Although the Bills have not been to the Super Bowl since 1993, they have appeared in the Divisional round for the past three years. With Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs, they are a dominant force in the NFL. Another prospect for the Super Bowl is the San Francisco 49ers. This team has made it to the Conference Championship for the past two years in a row, along with winning the 2019 Super Bowl. It can almost be said with certainty that one of these three teams will make an appearance in the 2024 Super Bowl.

2
View Comments (2)