• Congrats to our SECME team for winning 1st place in the district!
  • OH Boys Weightlifting team won Regional Championship on 4/5! Good luck at the state championship!
  • Congratulations to our amazing theatre teacher Kimberly Coyle for being named a Dwyer Finalist for Senior High Education!
  • For the second consecutive year, the Olympic Heights girls soccer team is the 7A district 2023-2024 Academic Team Champion
  • Congratulations Florida DECA State Champions 2024: Katelynne Deale, Tai Graham, and Elsie Throckmorton!
  • Girls Soccer Coach Jim Cappello is coach of the year, leading the lions to 21 victories, and their eighth straight regional appearance.
  • Soccer: Senior Ava Cardaci was selected 7A District 12 Player of the Year with 15 goals and 27 assists.

The Happy Medium of Age Limits

Kilometers versus miles, pounds versus liters, the US has many differences to other countries. A notable difference is age limits. In the States, the drinking age is famously 21, unless specified differently in other states. The voting age is 18 and the legal age to have a driver’s license is 16. Many countries’ age restrictions are younger: as young as 18 in many European countries, or even 16 year olds in Panama and Cuba being legally allowed to drink.

Controversy over raising or lowering these age restrictions has always been a topic of discussion, even if it is not a heated political debate. Many older generations want to raise these limits while the up and coming younger generations want to lower them, mirroring other countries.

Other countries also have limits within limits. For example, Japan’s driving age for motorcycles is 16, but to have a driver’s license for a car, you must be 18. Other countries may have older age limits, like the 23-year-old limit in Niger, compared to our country’s age requirement of 15 with permit and 16 with license.

While the younger generation seems to side with lowering these limits, that’s not always the case. Olympic Heights senior, Angelina Diaz, believes that “the restrictions put on driving and voting are fair, but the drinking age should probably be raised.” Diaz also shares, “If you can serve your country, you should be able to vote.” This idea is one of the major reasons for keeping or lowering the voting age in the US.

Along with a minimum age limit, some people are asking politicians to propose a maximum limit, specifically for driving and voting. As more of generation Z and the millennials cast their votes, they tend to believe that generations like baby boomers shouldn’t be voting if they’re over a certain age. This is because of the belief that this majority of voters is making decisions for a country they won’t have to live in for much longer. A graduated Olympic Heights’ Lion says, “It’s important to change these restrictions because it will help keep you and the people around you safer and give people the right to to express their political opinions should be exercised.”

With the limits around drinking, people tend to care less or be more hesitant. While some believe it should be lowered, others believe it should even be raised. When asked about her thoughts on changing the limit, Diaz said that “it would have the same effect as prohibition. It would only cause more [underage] demand for alcohol, especially with the large drinking culture in college and greek life.” Another senior, Aiden Crain, shares similar beliefs: “Drinking should be legal at 25 because people’s brains are fully developed by then.”

As for driving student’s ideas tend to align more. The experience is different in Florida compared to other states, as the Boca area has seen an increase in “snow birds” and the older generation nesting in the area. With the increase of older folks moving down to Florida, the traffic is different than other states; many people complain about the poor driving of these older folks and want to set restrictions on them. The minimum age for driving is not as much of a problem as the fact that there is no maximum. “It’s important to change the range allowed for drivers on the road. In Florida a lot of accidents and poor driving involve seniors. If we limit the max age on the road, the chances of accidents would almost definitely decrease,” says Diaz. Others such as Crain suggest annual driving tests after drivers reach a certain age in order to “gauge your driving ability.” He continues on to say, “It’s important to change these restrictions to use our power to make change as needed.”

18
View Comments (18)