Olympic Heights Graduation Rate Among the Best in the County

Not only is Olympic Heights an “A” school again, its 2014-15 graduation rate is the fourth best in the county and it has the best graduation rate in the county for at-risk students.

That is plenty to be proud of, but being the best in the county in going above and beyond in helping students struggling with academic achievement and test taking is what the OH administration and faculty takes specific pride in.

“Our graduation rate has continued to climb,” says OH principal Dave Clark, who was proud to see so many students leave high school after committing to their education. The 2013-14 OH overall graduation rate was 89.1 percent and the rate for at-risk students went up 3.5 percent. In 2014-15, the overall graduation rate for students is 92.6 percent and 10 percent for at-risk students. This significant shift can be partly attributed to the OH faculty putting more emphasis on shaping students into lifelong learners rather than just focusing on the highest achievers.

When students finally walk out of high school grasping their diplomas, they will be venturing into uncharted territory. The security that teachers and parents provide is temporary and almost always taken for granted. Students will have to take up jobs and colleges and newfound responsibilities in the confusing maze that is adulthood. Graduating high school is necessary if students desire to succeed.

Diplomas are required in order to enroll into most colleges, which seems to be a common goal in mind for most high school seniors. But even if higher education is not the path a student wishes to take, many well-paying occupations consider diplomas a necessity. Graduates have more opportunities than dropouts, and they also are more likely to establish a career for themselves rather than a job that pays minimum wage. The hard work that students put into their years at OH can literally pay off in the long run.

Such academic success has a domino effect. When students work to succeed in high school, they can pursue colleges and internships and find themselves reaping benefits that otherwise would not have been available. But it starts with a diploma. And, it ends with students who can aspire to reach their goals and live comfortably due to their diligence and hard work.

Clark contributes the success of OH to the “tremendous amount of hard work of the staff, guidance counselors and senior English teachers