Olympic Heights Seniors Look Back on Freshman Year

OH seniors Josh Berkowitz, Julia Eisenberg, and Jessica Thurber reflect on their regrets from freshman year.

Many seniors have just finished submitting college applications, attended their last homecoming, and are now beginning to worry about what life is going to be like after the tassels are moved from right to left. Before the class of 2018 becomes official alumni of the Lions’ den, some of the Olympic Heights seniors sat down with The Torch to talk about some of the things they may have done differently fours years ago when they were newcomers to the school.

When those seniors flashbacked to freshman year, they not only described what it was like to be nervous and recalled all of the memories they made in the 2014-15 school year, but they also talked about what they wished they had done while they had the chance.

“I regret not opening up earlier to making new friends, I was scared to make new friends, but the friends I have made in high school have become my best friends,” senior Jessica Thurber states. Making friends in high school is a struggle that most high schoolers have to deal with; however, Jessica emphasizes the importance of making friends early on in high school.

Adding to Thurber’s commentary, senior Julia Eisenberg states, “One of the biggest changes I felt I had to make following my freshman year was my friend group. As I matured I realized who my true friends really are.” It is reasonable to say freshman year is the year of experimentation when it comes to socialization groups. Like Eisenberg and others, it is possible the people high schoolers associated with in the middle school and freshmen years are no longer their go-to people.

When Maya Nazarian looks back on what she would’ve advised her freshman self to do now that she is a senior. Nazarian says, “ I wish I got more involved in school activities and clubs sooner.” Most freshman

students, like Maya, tend to shy away from in-school activities out of fear that they may feel uncomfortable being around older students. Once those students become a part of school clubs late in high school, they realize it is totally different from what they envisioned when they were underclassmen.

Another realization seniors have as they reminisce on their freshman year is that they were way too stressed out. It is easy to feel overwhelmed as a freshman when not only trying to make new friends and adjust to a new school environment, but also trying to achieve high grades. A student’s freshman year is the first year schooling really matters in terms of college acceptance.

Senior Christopher Volz agrees saying, “I should’ve learned to adapt to the school system better and balance my work load. If only I knew it was only going to get harder from there.”

Josh Berkowitz elaborates, admitting, “I wish I learned not to stress over the small stuff and lived more in the present.” This sentiment could probably be echoed throughout high schools in across the country. Students truly feel the weight of the work load in their freshman year. Eventually, what seemed like the hardest thing ever now seems like a piece of cake. If only the seniors realized that before and lived and enjoyed their freshman year a little more instead of constantly stressing.

All in all, the seniors The Torch talked to truly evolved into more mature and wiser people. As they OH they will remember what they wished they would’ve done their first year at the school and hopefully make some changes when they become freshmen in college.