• Congrats to our SECME team for winning 1st place in the district!
  • OH Boys Weightlifting team won Regional Championship on 4/5! Good luck at the state championship!
  • Congratulations to our amazing theatre teacher Kimberly Coyle for being named a Dwyer Finalist for Senior High Education!
  • For the second consecutive year, the Olympic Heights girls soccer team is the 7A district 2023-2024 Academic Team Champion
  • Congratulations Florida DECA State Champions 2024: Katelynne Deale, Tai Graham, and Elsie Throckmorton!
  • Girls Soccer Coach Jim Cappello is coach of the year, leading the lions to 21 victories, and their eighth straight regional appearance.
  • Soccer: Senior Ava Cardaci was selected 7A District 12 Player of the Year with 15 goals and 27 assists.

Social Media Age Limit: Should It Be Increased?

Just last month on Sunday, March 25th, Governor Ron DeSantis passed a law to increase the age limit for social media platforms to sixteen instead of its current limit of thirteen. Upon its first mention, debates stirred on whether or not this was the right decision. 

For starters, some positive outcomes would follow as a result of the law. It is true that social media can be a distraction in the classroom. Cell phones are small and easily accessible, which also means they’re easy to use (and hide!) during learning time. According to a study conducted by Common Sense Media, 97% of students use their cell phones while in the classroom. Another study published in the Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology said student GPAs have dropped one full grade since social media was introduced. Students are hindering themselves from learning due to the incessant need to scroll through social media. If the social media ban goes into effect, fewer distractions would occur in the classroom, resulting in an increase in learning.  

In addition, children could have less exposure to unsafe ideas that may pose health risks. If unsupervised, social media is a completely uncensored and inappropriate place, and the undeveloped minds of kids may not be aware of the horrors it could bring. Increasing the age limit could help prevent naive minds from unseemly posts. 

Different trends have been going around for years, but with social media and the need for “views,” “likes,” and “followers,” these trends are increasingly becoming more dangerous. For example, the Tide Pod eating challenge of 2018 took the lives of eight teens in the United States, and over 12,000 calls were made to poison control centers nationwide because of ingesting laundry detergent. These alarming trends continue with the more recent blackout challenge in 2021, which killed 82 TikTokers trying to go viral by choking someone. Increasing the age limit can help ensure the safety of children as they wouldn’t be exposed to social media posts that encourage dastardly deeds. 

Jana Schwalb, a mother and teacher at North Broward Preparatory School, shares her opinion on the ban. “Children can’t just sit and focus on their work; they’re watching shows or ‘snapping’ with their friends,” Schwalb claims. “They know more than they should at this age because they’re able to see it all through TikTok.” 

On the other hand, various negative outcomes would result from a social media age-limit, most notably social exclusion. Many children and young teens communicate to their friends and family via social media such as Snapchat, Instagram, and TikTok. If an age restriction is implemented, their social life would also be restricted. This could also affect mental health greatly since communication is extremely important to teens. 

A teacher at Olympic Heights, Ms. Breadstill states her views on the limit: “It’s not necessary. Parents should monitor their children, and if used correctly, [social media] can enhance teens and their learning, but if not it distracts and could also affect surrounding peers.”

Another negative consequence with this law would be limiting creativity and interests. Posting on social media, while occasionally seen as inappropriate, is actually a means of self-expression. A lot of social media posts are videos of artwork, dancing, singing, and individual hobbies. This could open a network of new interests for many viewers of these videos, influencing them to get involved in new hobbies. 

Parents and teachers are always encouraging students to watch the news and learn about the world around them, but what is the difference between the television and their devices? Social media covers a lot of world news and keeps children and teens updated. Since posts can be made easily, news can travel quickly throughout the platforms. Also, users can search specific topics through hashtags to view the local and national news.

Both sides both have extremely valid points to make. Social media is a mixed topic and has its pros and cons. However, Olympic Heights student Sophia Araujo pointed out a huge turning point in the argument: “No matter if they increase the age limit, it won’t change anything. Kids are just going to lie about their age and find ways to get onto social media.”

19
View Comments (19)