• Athletes of the Week: TENNIS: Alaina Lewis & William Luque; WRESTLING: Leidaly Riveria; WEIGHTLIFTING: Kaivin Im

• Students of the Month: Alexis Ford (9); Jonathan Raffa & Skylar Deutch (10); Johnathon Difusco (11); Charlotte Stewart (12)

• Teacher of the Month: Leslie Giblin; Non-Instructional Employee of the Month: Joanne Falzone

Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

The Hot Summer of 2018 Brought Out the Blossoming of Several Celebrity Romances

Back to Article
Back to Article

Justin Bieber and Hailey Baldwin confirmed their engagement in separate social media postings in July.

Just as with flowers and weeds, the summer is a great time for relationships to bloom. Over the course of the summer many celebrity relationships came out: some surprising, others not so much!

One of them being the engagement of Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson. The two first met in March of 2016 when Grande made a guest appearance on Saturday Night Live. Over the past two years they have remained friends.  She confirmed her relationship with Mac Miller had ended the beginning of May, and not long after Davidson confirmed that his relationship with Cazzie David had terminated as well.

On May 21, the news broke that they were officially a couple. Most fans were happy they were together. However, their relationship is somewhat controversial. Due to Davidson having Borderline Personality Disorder, some fans were saying that Grande should not stay with him.  He fired back at the comments on twitter.

Davidson confirmed the couple’s engagement with an Instagram post on June 15. Supposedly, they were planning on getting married the day they met. And as of now, Grande will take his surname, going by Ariana Grande-Davidson.

A very controversial relationship exists with the engagement of Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra. These feelings are mostly due to their 11-year age gap and the popularity of Nick Jonas.

The couple started dating in May, and after only two months of dating, they revealed to the public the news of their engagement in July. In August, Jonas and Chopra made their engagement official with an Indian Roka engagement ceremony, which was put in place to symbolize the fusion between the bride and groom’s friends and family members.

Hailey Baldwin and Justin Bieber’s relationship has been on-again, off-again, but they have sealed their relationship with a proposal. Ironically, the two were introduced to ne another by Hailey’s father Stephen Baldwin back in 2009, but their relationship didn’t start heating up until 2015 with the two staying in contact during the years in between.

Bieber confirmed the couple’s engagement on Instagram two days after he proposed. Shortly after Bieber’s confirmation, Baldwin tweeted about it. The social media postings made it “real” in the public’s eyes.

Relationships are stressful and complicated. They’re even more stressful and complicated for celebrities due to their being in the spotlight all the time and not being able to escape it.  Everything that happens in their relationships ends up in the media, sometimes as a result of their own social media postings or public relations firms.

For some celebrities, it can be frustratingly overwhelming to keep their private lives private. However, in the cases of the celebrities referenced in this article, all of them kept their secrets until they had the chance to leak the news themselves.

All of these relationships were somewhat controversial to people, yet somewhat satisfying to others. It just depends how the public was watching the individuals come together. These celebrity relationships have blossomed and will hopefully soon become flowers, not weeds.