• Athletes of the Week: VOLLEYBALL: Ariana Steighner; BOWLING: Jack Cowan & Alexa Haas; CROSS COUNTRY: Nicholas Sanchez

• Athletes of the Week: GOLF: Brooks Lamb & Jordyn Huberman; SWIMMING: Christopher Rodriguez & Falyn Housenbold

• Students of the Month: Nicholas Defrancesco (fr.); Alexis Rejouis (sph.); Jordyn Geller (jun.); Jamison Turenne (sen.)

• Teacher of the Month: Amy Baer: Non-Instructional Employee of the Month: Darren Studstill

Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

Can We Hate the Artist but Love the Art?

Tekashi 6ix9ine may not be the perfect role model for his young fans, but can his art still be appreciated?

The entertainment industry – the music genre specifically – has been polluted by a new wave of drug obsessed, drama queens hungry for attention.. While these types of antics have been around since Tupac was loving California; the more recent divas they have been glamorized and made easily accessible due to the common culture being flooded with immoral and illegal behavior on the various social media platforms.

Rapper Vic Mensa recently sparked controversy when he labeled the late XXXTentacion a “wife beater” and “domestic abuser,” in his BET cypher, with XXXTenacion’s mother in the audience. Mensa’s timing on when to voice his concern on the current state of the music culture leaves a bit to be desired.

The entertainment industry, as a whole, being tainted with foul behavior is laughably expected at this point. Like a fever, domestic abuse has also spread to the athletic arena. It’s no longer shocking to hear of a rising football star being charged with anything from drug possession to domestic abuse to incestous child molestation, as in the case of Justin Crawford.

Yet the world of rap, the most dominating genre of music, remains the most corrupt as evidenced from the honest mouths of gang members and drug users. Posts stating, “I wanna die a legend like Peep” can be found all over social media, showing the genre’s dangerous influence.   

The tide of drugs and crime is what fuels the lyrics of 2018’s most popular music. Juice World’s joint mixtape collaboration with Future is called “World on Drugs” and features references to drugs on said mixtape cover. Whatever the case, the entertainment industry is drugged; corrupting kids with images of drug glamorization and the fun of crime.

One of the most popular rappers, Tekashi 6ix9ini, is also the most controversial. Opinions on the rainbow-haired felon range from “He is exploitative and has little talent,’ to “His crimes are disgusting, and he is purely lucky to have gotten as far as he has in the game” to “I don’t get him” and “6ix9ine is very smart, he knows how to stay relevant any way possible. He is the ultimate clout chaser and everyone talks about him.”

6ix9ine just got away with punching a sixteen year-old who chose not to press charges. In the past he had an underage girl perform oral sex on him for a music video. His impetuous antics and irreverent behavior are manifested from his uncompromising confidence; words simply do not hurt 6ix9ine. The key to uncompromised stardom in 2018 is honesty or in 6ix9ine language: “Let your nuts hang.”

Is it ethical to listen to the music of criminals, practically funding their drug flooded lifestyle? Is it ethical to support movie stars who slap their wives and hate minorities? Is it ethical to watch football players who beat both the opposing team and their wives?

Yes. It is the art is meant to be enjoyed; not the artist.