• Athletes of the Week: WRESTLING: David Lopez; WEIGHTLIFTING: Leidaly Riveria; CHEER: Zoe Silver

• Athletes of the Week: BASKETBALL; Micah Octave & Savana Crews; SOCCER: Patrick Zullo & Victoria Barreto

• Students of the Month: Nicholas Defrancesco (fr.); Alexis Rejouis (sph.); Jordyn Geller (jun.); Jamison Turenne (sen.)

• Teacher of the Month: Robert Carruthers; Non-Instructional Employee of the Month: Vivian Nelson

REVIEW: Lil Yachty’s Latest Album Nuthin’ 2 Prove Is Nothing to Get Excited About

Back to Article
Back to Article

The best songs from Nuthin' 2 Prove, Lil Yachty's latest album, are those featuring other artists.

With relatively little hype, Rapper Lil Yachty released his third studio album album, Nuthin’ 2 Prove, on Oct. 19, a follow-up to his previous two releases Teenage Emotions and Lil Boat 2.

Whereas, QUAVO HUNCHO, Quavo’s first solo album, and Juice WRLD and Future’s duet album Wrld on Drugs, both released around the same date as Nuthin; 2 Prove, made quite the stir, Yachty’s marketing campaign seemed limited to promoting his album’s release on his Instagram account which has over seven million followers.

Despite the limited promotion, Yachty is a very popular artist who has entered into several corporate partnerships, such as with Faze, worldwide known Esports Team. Given these circumstances, Yachty will always have a lot of hype surrounding his album releases, whether or not they live up to that hype.

Lil Yachty’s latest album is very similar to his former releases with many featured artists featured on his album who steal the show. In many of his songs with featured artists, the features’ verses seem to outshine the rest of the song sung by Yachty.

Featured artists included on Nuthin’ 2 Prove include fellow Atlanta-based rappers Lil Baby and Gunna, Trippie Redd, and most notably Juice WRLD, who, in my opinion, had the best song on the entire album titled “Yacht Club.”

Having several feature artists is not a bad thing in this situation, however. It helps Yachty’s case, for the songs he does by himself do not do as well as his songs with other collaborators. Over half of the songs on the album include other artists.

None of Yachty’s solo songs are included on the top 100 songs on Apple Music. “Yacht Club” holds its spot at #25, which is not very good given how timely the album is. The other top 100 song holds at #86, and, by no surprise, included a feature, but this time with rapper Playboi Carti.

When Yachty entered the hip hop industry a few years back, his delightful tone and flow added to the creative lyrics about how he made a name for himself and the life he enjoys now due to his hard work. Although he still does the same thing throughout many of his songs, such as “SaintLaurentYSL” with Lil Baby and “Forever World” with Trippie Redd, the hip hop industry has transformed into one that values “emo” music.

Yachty’s music is not awful on any level, but the transformation of the tough to impress industry has certainly attached some repetition to Yachty’s music and has made it difficult for him to attract listeners other than his die-hard fans.

Nuthin’ 2 Prove has a handful of songs worth listening to such as the previously mentioned “Yacht Club,” “Riley from the Boondocks,” and “Forever World.” But, it is not an album that has 10 songs that you want added to your playlist. Still, there are those few enjoyable tunes.