Olympic Heights undergoing campus-wide improvements

An electrician preparing to install new LED lighting in one of the 8000 building classrooms.

Olympic Heights High School is undergoing some new construction projects this school year. Both students and teachers have noticed the new bathrooms, classroom lighting, improved air conditioning, and other general improvements to the appearance of the campus. With these new additions to the school, faculty members are hoping to see great benefits and an enhanced learning environment as a whole.  

As expressed in an email to faculty by OH assistant principal Mr. Frank D’Annunzio, who is overseeing the projects, the campus upgrades are expected to continue throughout the school year. “New bleachers are being put in the gymnasium. The exterior parking lot and building lights are being switched to bright white LED. The fire alarm system is being brought up to code,” D’Annunzio wrote in the email. These improvements to the school are meant with the positive intentions of “helping improve the aesthetics and functionality” of Olympic Heights, D’Annunzio continued.

Several of the schoolwide renovations have been completed and are being met with positive reactions and great success from the teachers and students. OH junior Jaxson Holliday finds the new lights to be a great improvement, stating, “I really like what they did with the lights and how we can dim it down now. It always felt so bright before, but now I feel a lot more comfortable.” 

Students are also appreciating the upgrades made to the restrooms around the campus and find that having another one open upstairs is greatly useful and advantageous. Having more restrooms allows for higher accessibility, efficiency, and helps alleviate the restroom crowding that has been exacerbated by the larger student body this school year.    

OH Senior Heidi Russell explains, “It’s really nice that they are adding things to the school. Improving the bathrooms and adding one to the upstairs has made it much more convenient.” 

Students and staff members from previous school years are enjoying the changes made around the OH campus and see the positive difference between the classrooms and amenities this year compared to last year. Both utility and appearance have positively improved from the construction projects.            

From seemingly minor fixes such as door handles to the massive job of replacing the school roof and all of the air conditioning system’s air handlers, the school district has committed to make the much needed and long overdue improvements with no endeavor being too big or too small.

Classrooms are also being outfitted with brand new desks for the teachers as well as desks and tables for the students as needed. The aforementioned LED light installment has shown to be beneficial and allows for a more focused teaching space. 

With all of the current improvements to the OH campus, it is fascinating for faculty and students to wait and see what other upgrades and touch ups are in store for the remainder of the year. The appearance of the school itself is greatly improving and is sure to form a more positive and academic atmosphere. The faculty and staff are prepared to continue elevating the school and make sure that each improvement is carried out and well thought through.