• Congrats to our SECME team for winning 1st place in the district!
  • OH Boys Weightlifting team won Regional Championship on 4/5! Good luck at the state championship!
  • Congratulations to our amazing theatre teacher Kimberly Coyle for being named a Dwyer Finalist for Senior High Education!
  • For the second consecutive year, the Olympic Heights girls soccer team is the 7A district 2023-2024 Academic Team Champion
  • Congratulations Florida DECA State Champions 2024: Katelynne Deale, Tai Graham, and Elsie Throckmorton!
  • Girls Soccer Coach Jim Cappello is coach of the year, leading the lions to 21 victories, and their eighth straight regional appearance.
  • Soccer: Senior Ava Cardaci was selected 7A District 12 Player of the Year with 15 goals and 27 assists.

Death of a Beloved Actor: Michael Gambon

On September 27, 2023, Michael Gambon, a beloved actor in the entertainment industry, lost his life following a bout of pneumonia. The confirmation of Gambon’s death was verified  by a statement made by his family: “Michael died peacefully in hospital with his wife, Anne, and son Fergus at his bedside.” 

Born on October 19, 1940, in Cabra, Dublin, the Irish actor gained name after appearing on the BBC series The Singing Detective and received his first BAFTA award following his acting. 

The 82-year-old has been known for his famous parts in Harry Potter, Paddington, Othello, Doctor Who, and many more. Gambon was appreciated by many, including the actor Ralph Richardson who introduced the saying, “The Great Gambon.” He was also recognized as an outstanding performer who dedicated his whole life to his works and his audience.

Gambon’s most famous role, Dumbledore, was established after Richard Harris, the originator, died in 2002. He first appeared in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and continued through the final movie, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. He had the privilege to take part in this role as Dumbledore from 2004 to 2011. 

Over six decades, Gambon’s acting career brought him his own unique abilities when it came to deciphering the script. “He would absorb a script, then use rehearsals to adapt and deepen his discoveries,” the New York Times stated. As a physical learner, a person’s looks, rhythms, sounds, and movements provided the ways Gambon brought to life the different characters he performed.

Following his death, many Harry Potter stars, like Emma Watson, Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and many more, paid tribute to his legacy by expressing their love towards him through  thoughtful posts on social media. “Michael Gambon was one of the most brilliant, effortless actors I’ve ever had the privilege of working with, but despite his immense talent, the thing I will remember most about him is how much fun he had doing his job,” Radcliffe stated. 

As a young adult, Gambon first became attentive in the field of apprentice toolmaker. It wasn’t until he joined the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in 1962 that he became interested in the production of on-stage debuts. His role in Othello marked his starting period in the world of performances and entertainment. 

Throughout his long acting career, Gambon had the chance to receive and be nominated for many awards. With 21 wins and 23 nominations, these awards ranged from Critics Choice, BAFTA, and Primetime Emmy to Florida Film Critics and Irish Film and Television awards. 

As news surfaced on social media, fans went on X, formally known as Twitter, to express their deepest condolences to Gambon’s family. Fans expressed their emotions through tweets that read, “Forever in our hearts and a part of everyone’s childhood” and “ A great actor and man, he brought life to one of the strongest and most beloved characters, we’ll never forget about him! Rest in peace.” 

Michael Gambon’s legacy will forever impact fans and the entertainment industry as he brought upon many famous and fan-favorite characters.

2
View Comments (2)