• Congrats to our SECME team for winning 1st place in the district!
  • OH Boys Weightlifting team won Regional Championship on 4/5! Good luck at the state championship!
  • Congratulations to our amazing theatre teacher Kimberly Coyle for being named a Dwyer Finalist for Senior High Education!
  • For the second consecutive year, the Olympic Heights girls soccer team is the 7A district 2023-2024 Academic Team Champion
  • Congratulations Florida DECA State Champions 2024: Katelynne Deale, Tai Graham, and Elsie Throckmorton!
  • Girls Soccer Coach Jim Cappello is coach of the year, leading the lions to 21 victories, and their eighth straight regional appearance.
  • Soccer: Senior Ava Cardaci was selected 7A District 12 Player of the Year with 15 goals and 27 assists.

Calling All Good Samaritans: Introducing Palm Beach County’s Volunteer Opportunities

Across Palm Beach County, various volunteer opportunities are available for teens. Whether it be affiliated with Olympic Heights or a county-wide organization, high school students have a variety of opportunities to help their community and gain service hours.

Annually, the Alzheimer’s Association holds an event that provides high school students with the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of those affected by Alzheimer’s. Students can educate those of all origins on the importance of dementia, and, most importantly, provide support to participants at the main event, A Walk to End Alzheimer’s. With students’ help, “an impact in the lives of more than 6 million Americans living with Alzheimer’s and their over 11 million caregivers” can be possible, according to Volunteer with the Alzheimer’s Association. The walk takes place annually in November.  For more information, click here

Additionally, Big Dog Ranch Rescue, a “cage-free, no-kill dog rescue,” provides teens in search of volunteer opportunities a chance to save rescued, and possibly harmed animals, and find them a forever home. According to Big Dog Ranch Rescue, with a simple application, volunteers 16 years and older can volunteer alone, while volunteers 8 to 15 years old must have the presence of an adult. Volunteer work includes walking dogs, maintaining proper order within the kennel, and assisting with greeting and gatekeeping.  To learn more about Big Dog Ranch Rescue, click here

At Olympic Heights, Ellen Elstein, Reading Department Chair, is hosting the fifth annual Holiday Toy Drive in support of Teens of Pink Ribbon. Beginning November 1 and ending December 16, Olympic Heights students will be rewarded 10 community service hours for each unwrapped new toy, stuffed animal, book, and game for children ages 6 months to teenagers they collect. “The purpose of the Teens of Pink Ribbon Holiday Toy Drive is to bring some joy to kids fighting cancer at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital,” Elstein commented. “Through our service project, we hope the children at Joe DiMaggio can have one day where they forget about their battle with cancer and get to enjoy the gifts of the holiday season.”

To support Palm Beach County residents experiencing homelessness, The Homeless Coalition of Palm Beach County is collecting donations to provide these individuals with the daily necessities they need to work towards living a nourished and fulfilled life. Additionally, this organization is looking for volunteers to not only collect items, but also sort and organize the donations they collect. “Items [needed] include housewares, linens, toys, clothing, warm welcome kits, bikes, small appliances, small furniture and more.” Currently, items that are crucial and of high necessity include shaving cream, deodorant, a toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, and hand sanitizer.

The Palm Beach County Library System holds a variety of teen events to provide “rewarding opportunities for individuals who are passionate about books, learning, and community engagement.High school volunteers will assist in the shelving of books, organization of materials, and location and access of helpful information. Additionally, The Palm Beach County Library System hosts a Reading Buddies program, “designed to give kids in grades K-5 extra reading practice one-on-one, or in a group setting, with a Teen Buddy” in hopes of educating children as to the importance of becoming a reader. To become a part of this program, in-person volunteers can submit an application to apply for this volunteer position.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Palm Beach County has a multitude of volunteer positions available for high school students. In utilizing these resources, students can assist in helping organizations throughout their community in making Palm Beach County, overall, a better place to live!

14
View Comments (14)