• Congrats to our SECME team for winning 1st place in the district!
  • OH Boys Weightlifting team won Regional Championship on 4/5! Good luck at the state championship!
  • Congratulations to our amazing theatre teacher Kimberly Coyle for being named a Dwyer Finalist for Senior High Education!
  • For the second consecutive year, the Olympic Heights girls soccer team is the 7A district 2023-2024 Academic Team Champion
  • Congratulations Florida DECA State Champions 2024: Katelynne Deale, Tai Graham, and Elsie Throckmorton!
  • Girls Soccer Coach Jim Cappello is coach of the year, leading the lions to 21 victories, and their eighth straight regional appearance.
  • Soccer: Senior Ava Cardaci was selected 7A District 12 Player of the Year with 15 goals and 27 assists.

Bored in Boca?

Downtown Boca Raton

The weekend has finally come; you and your friends are all excited to do something – but what even is there to do around Boca? 

Boca Raton Town Center Mall

Arguably the most popular weekend location is the Town Center Mall. Town Center is also our biggest luxury mall, boasting around 220 unique stores. There really is something for everyone here as stores can range from extremely pricey like Louis Vuitton and Cartier to more everyday stores like American Eagle and Aeropostale. The wide variety of stores doesn’t just pertain to prices, but also to the types of stores. You can buy a whole new wardrobe at the many clothing and shoes stores, grab a bite to eat at the extensive food court, and buy a brand new couch at Arhaus or Crate and Barrel – all at Town Center Mall!

Burt Aaronson South County Regional Park

A short 10 minute drive from Olympic Heights, South County Regional Park is a huge outdoor park with many different activities for both families and groups of friends to enjoy. There are numerous soccer fields, tennis and pickleball courts, baseball fields, basketball courts, and even a beach volleyball court and golf course. But it doesn’t just stop there: South County also has an amphitheater, dog park, waterpark, and beautiful nature trail that leads you through a lush green forest; it’s the closest thing to hiking you can get in the area! Among my favorite things the park offers is the gorgeous sunsets you can watch over the water next to the amphitheater. It’s the perfect way to end a day of fun in South County. 

Quiet Waters Park

Quiet Waters Park in Deerfield is slightly similar to South County; however, it isn’t as big and doesn’t have as many sports-related activity spaces as South County. Though it still has its own waterpark (sadly only for ages 12 and under), beach volleyball court, basketball courts, and dog park, it has something that South County doesn’t have – a watersport rental area. Ski Rixen offers a “fun and affordable water skiing system” that uses no boats, just a pulley system. “We’re not restricted to just wakeboarding and water skiing – people of all ages can slalom, trick ski, kneeboard, wakeboard, and even surf without a wave,” Ski Rixen’s Google page states.

Boca Ice

If you’re looking for a change of scenery from the hot and humid Florida weather, Boca Ice is the place for you. It has two rinks inside and often holds fun skating events with lights and music. They have their own skate and walker rentals, so you can walk in with nothing but your friends and have a great time. There’s even a snack stand if you catch an appetite while skating; however, make sure to dress appropriately as it can get very chilly inside.

Atlantic Ave

Some of my favorite weekends with my friends are spent on Atlantic Ave in Delray Beach.  It is less of an activity place and more of a stroll down the street and windowshop place, so “the Ave” may not be for everyone. A large majority of the stores are high end and out of a high schooler’s price range, but it’s still interesting to peruse the shops and eateries. There are many good food spots, but a couple good recommendations are Playa Bowls for a post-beach snack, DalMoros Fresh Pasta To Go for a delicious filling meal to take with you to a nice spot by the water to eat, Hawkers Asian Street Food for a sit-down – but not too fancy – evening dinner, and The Whale Tea for a good bubble tea. A Google reviewer said Atlantic Ave was “the best hub in Southeast Florida for fun, food, and nightlife.”

Deerfield Beach

What would Florida be without its beaches? Lucky for us, we have three different beaches around here to choose from, and they are all equidistant from West Boca. Boca, Deerfield, and Delray beaches are all quite different from one another, not just the beach itself, but the surrounding area as well. Boca beach is the one I have been to the least, mainly for the reason that there is not much to do in the area besides the beach, but the nearby parks are family friendly. Delray is a great beach and is close to the Ave with canal right next to it, so if you have a boat or wish to rent one, you can do so. Finally, Deerfield Beach is the beach I find the most well-rounded. The beach itself is very clean, it has a boardwalk and beach volleyball courts, and the street has a couple nice shops and restaurants. In addition to that, sometimes street fairs can be ambled about as they are right next to the beach; small business booths line the street selling a variety of beach necessities.  Live music can be heard as well, adding to the highly-charged energy of beachgoers as they amble to their beach spot.  

Whether it’s a casual day at the beach or a fun-filled adventure at South County Regional Park, Boca Raton and its neighboring cities offer an abundance of activities to stave off boredom.  

19
View Comments (19)